10/25/10

Barazza week with JUMP Foundation

JUMP Foundation for the leadership skills of youth

What was the activity?

Our school of Regent's had gotten a great chance to arrange a one week visit to Koh Chang IDEALS center for every Barazza leaders who would be running Barazza sessions during the Roundsquare conference that was coming in October of the year 2010 and we had a great privilege to be accompanied by JUMP Foundation led by Justin Bedard who had been running a program to help improving leadership skills in youth. The trip was meant to enhance and bring out leadership skills in every Barazza leaders so everyone would properly be ready to lead a Barazza group.


Me and Rasmus during our talented performace.


What did we do ?
We were taught on how to be a good facilitator by learning to know how to be a good leader in a group discussion and how to pick out key points from a keynote speaker's speech. And also we did get a chance to get out of the comfort zone and get up in public and make a speech in front of the crowd, which to me was one of the biggest challenge but practice makes perfect , and I had managed to overcome my fear of public speaking to a certain extent during that trip. And in group discussion training, we learnt how to be lead facilitate a discussion by knowing the meaning of the body language , group member's action , or what to do if this happens, and also learnt the main rules of do's and don't's when leading a discussion.
By the end of the week, I found myself more comfortable in a Barazza session. I knew exactly what to do in what situations and I also felt more comfortable to speak up in public. I must say I was proud of myself once I found myself able to cope with the fear of public speaking but there was of course some difficulties along the way. It took me quite a while to get myself out of my comfort zone and I was never good at public speaking but attempts after attempts I finally managed to improve my self-confidence .


The Barazza Crew! :)


What have I gained?
A week in Koh Chang with JUMP Foundation had improved my leadership skills and I never thought I would have improved this much in only 5 days and now I find myself eager to improve myself in term of leadership and now I realized that if was offered another chance to make a speech in front of a crowd again, I would never hesitate and take a chance right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment